Saturday, October 01, 2005

Torture.

First thing, yesterday morning, I blogged on to see if I had any comments from my previous blog (I love the things you write me), then I go across to Rene's blog, make some tea, then across to Rachel's, where I read her blogs, and the comments from the 'Who TV' show.
I then found the 'Torture' video thingy, I love it, I done quite well considering I only remembered the intro to the song, five minutes before we went on.
And because of my newly found love for this old song, that evening, after Rene went to bed, I went to my studio and dug out some early demo's. It turns out, that when I first wrote the song, the music and a lot of the words were different. Further investigation found an Indoneasian version, bit ambient ethnic vibe, and recordings of the song as is, played on the electric guitar at twice the speed.
Trust me, you got the best version, and with Rachel accompanying me on the piano, no less.
Just in case my acsent obscures any vocals, I'll write them out;

Torture.

From the moment that I saw you, I knew that I really cared,
Swapping smiles and teasing tongues, in a world of love that we shared,
But you ran away, and now I live in torture,
Where the drum of pain, beats everyday, well I live in agony because you ain't here with me,
I live in torture.
But I knew it'd be a matter of time, before I got over you, found another to be mine,
And who know's, I could still be right, but that won't help me in my dreams tonight,
Cause even in my dreams, I live in torture.
( continues)......

It shows that I emersed myself in that pain, for the version of the song that we see today, must have been written years later, as it has gone through many changes and versions. Although to me, they have always been the same song, and always called 'Torture'.
People seem to relate to these darker songs, I wonder why?
Any idea's?

P.S, Rachel's goining to get the movie of the song for me to put on my blog site, that'll be cool!
Thanks for your comments.
mikey

15 Comments:

Blogger Bri said...

Dear Mikey,

I love having the lyrics, thank you. It works much better as "Torture" than as "Taurus"! giggle

How wonderful, the way inspiration travels among us all.

I bought myself a new baby grand piano yesterday. I've been wanting to do this, just needed a bit of inspiration. I am over the moon about it.

We all relate to the darker songs because we've loved. I think that's it!

Brina in Minnesota

Saturday, October 01, 2005  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hey Brina, I think that song was ' Tourist', not 'Torture'.
But thanks for the answer to my query.
Well done with the piano. I would love a baby grand, although you need the space for even a baby.
mikey

Saturday, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Michael said...

I relate to darker songs because it is something that we have had happen or done in the past that we are either hiding, afraid to tell or happy in a way that someone else is saying it for us. More people can say "I can relate to that" with a darker song because they know or think they are one of the few that has gone thru whatever the song is saying. So we/they feel some sort of bond or relation with the writer/song

Saturday, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Michael said...

by the way....thanks for the comments ....helpped me

Saturday, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Bri said...

Oh my goodness, Mikey, you are right. I was thinking of "Tourist"/"Taurus" not "Torture"/"Taurus" but you do have some great "T" songs there!

Love the groove on "Tourist." It's in my head now!

Saturday, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Michael said...

I reposted my DROWNED clip. You should check it out. and maybe you can do the same thru Yousendit.com michael

Saturday, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Claire Eliza said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, October 02, 2005  
Blogger Claire Eliza said...

When I watched you perform this, I immediatly feel in love with the song. it's so mesmorizing, the way you play and sing. rachel did a fabulous job too.
and my favourite part are the lyrics, they are very deep but it does not sound like you're trying to hard to sound that way, it seems to flow.
amazing work mikey! hope to talk to you later!

*claire*

p.s. is there anyway you'll ever post tabs to your songs? just wondering, would be nice to know what exactly you play so maybe i could do a cover of it someday....

Sunday, October 02, 2005  
Blogger Lynsey said...

I only found yer blog by stumbling from Pete's blog to Rachel's, but you seem really groovy.
I really dug yer performance with Rachel too.
Just wanted to tell you and give you a shout.
<3

Sunday, October 02, 2005  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Thanks for all your comments, in answer; To Claire, I've never thought about writing out tab for any of my songs. I remember them, and I suppose I like them ephemeral.
But the idea of being covered, well, I love it, great. I'll do the tab, although you must know, I'm not very good at the musical(therory) part of music.
Anyway, thanks everyone, glad you like the sounds. mikey

Sunday, October 02, 2005  
Blogger Janey said...

I had to miss watching you on WHOTV this past week - dang job - but I loved that Rachel did the movie clip. Song was great and I was able to understand your accent quite well (must be a childhood raised on British comedies)

Sunday, October 02, 2005  
Blogger Michael said...

This is a song that everybody can relate to. Me at least 50...life of a geek....

Sunday, October 02, 2005  
Blogger Model citizen said...

We can all relate to it because we've all been there - we've all felt that desperate ache in our stomachs/hearts/heads when that one person is gone. At that moment you wish you would just die...but like everything else, you get over it. And wonder how you made it. And it's not something that people sit around and talk about with friends...it's just something you sweep under the rug.

Sunday, October 02, 2005  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Or write songs about, in my case.

Sunday, October 02, 2005  
Blogger Claire Eliza said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, October 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home