Monday, February 06, 2006

Body and Soul under the waterfall.

Here's a painting that I started some time in1991, and finished after returning from Indonesia. The painting show's two self portrait's, one squatting down, one standing, underneath a waterfall. The waterfall scene was taken from a photo montage I made from a series of photograph's taken within the Panandaran Nature Reserve, Java.
Actually, this very painting was the primary reason for my going to Indonesia, I wanted to paint an animal/human like figure in a jungle, I was seeking the primitive. Although when I was intially mapping out the painting, working on the composition, I realised that painting a jungle or rainforest was almost completely imposible from sourced images. I sold my car and raised extra fund's and flew to the cheapest destination along the equator, and within the rainforest belt area.
Within the first few months of my travel's in Indonesia, I had walked in the rainforest, and taken countless photograph's. I stayed on and taught English, but eventually came home and finished the painting.
Although when I eventually completed the painting, it seemed that I had brought my soul home with me. I really like this painting. It measure's 6ft by 4ft, is an oil on canvas, and is owned by my brother Shaun.
I hope you like my painting, let me know what you think, good or bad? Thanks for all the great feedback and comments, hey great news, I'm up to 4 on the IAC{Alt-chart} with Plasticine, Tourist hasn't moved though. It's still great news, thank's to everyone who's listening. Anyway, take care people. GMaS

mikey

10 Comments:

Blogger JoeBoy said...

I think it should be noted that you are up against some really great music on the IAC. This shows that the depth of your songs and the production value is fantastic. This also shows how your fan base has grown. This season of IN THE ATTIC should be really great. I would bet that there will be so many new fans that bandwidth becomes an issue.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Dale said...

Dear Mikey

The painting is fabulous!
You have a very good understanding of the human body.
I like the fact that you use many different themes & medium in your artwork.
And you can write & sing, to boot!

Love
Dale

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Kevin Seegan said...

You had a car? I diddin't know that. That is a fab painting. I'll continue listening

-Kevin

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger ginab said...

Hey-um, been a while, but I'm extra-specially glad I 'checked back' because I am always intrigued by artistic process. The primative or primativism is, to me, always desired. Movement is essential, and the accuracy--from the subjective journey of one through to another culture--for precision is often more revealing than a current, by wind or rain, captured, as you would have done, had you settled for something less. I absolutely love oil, its textures and giving to light and depth. Not easy. I wonder a little over what memories the painting provides you, given the (again) subjective nature of self in deuce. The croutching to standing reveals, to me, growth and within a story worth remembering.

Thank you.
-g+bb

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Dale said...

Dear Mikey

I am looking forward to the next season of In The Attic, where we get to meet with you on a weekly basis!

If you get a moment, please check out my 15 year old daughter's new blog. She is a budding young writer!

Thanks.
Dale

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Dale said...

Oops, I forgot to put up her address:

http://taintedloveandbrokenheart.blogspot.com/

Duh...

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Model citizen said...

Mikey darling, I'm reading your posting and wondering where I missed out on the whole artistic mindset. I would never think like you thought...it's just fascinating how some people are born with certain artistic talents and some aren't. Amazing. If I were thinking of Indonesia it would be because of the color of the sand or because I liked the sound of the language.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Janey said...

Congrats on moving on up the IAC!

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I love this piece. I love the contrast of colourful waterfall/rainforest and the pale figures. It's one that I could look at for long periods and just get lost in the foliage.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hey thanks everyone, you are lovely to me, I really appreciate it. I'm really glad you like the stuff and love all you have to say, thanks again, take care you lot.
mikey

Wednesday, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Bri said...

Mikey dear, I'm LOVING this one! It might be my favorite Mikey art yet. Thank you for posting it and telling us about the story behind and in it. I wish I had it for my house!

Love,
Brina

Wednesday, February 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home