Saturday, July 01, 2006

BRISTOL, BELGIUM OR BUS...

I am having a great time on IN THE ATTIC, and THE WHO World Tour, I feel super lucky, but I've said all this before, so I'll just get on with it.
I walked to the train station with my heavy bag at about 11:30am, going first into London, to catch a train to Bristol, got there and jumped into a cab, and I arrived at the football ground at about 4:30pm. I had just enough time to change and have a cup of tea, and on the show at 5:30pm. Apparently, there were some technical problems, but they were quickly remedied by the brilliant guy's that never appear on the show, they are excellent, and we all have a laugh.
The show started with The Zuton's performing on the show, there was load's of them, so I sat outside, it was the first time that I had watched the show live, and I really enjoyed it, all the Zuton's were really cool fella's and they said that they'd come back on, they version of Mary Anne really rocked the bus out.
Pete played a gorgeous song, and then Si came in and played a beautiful song. I played Plasticine, accompanied by Pete and Rachel, and it lovely. Even if I do say so myself.
Justin's film exert's are brilliant, he have such a skillful eye and can appear from thin air before your very eye's, or so it seem's, but he is so cool, and I really like him. The show was a great success, we finished and then I was able to watch THE WHO perform, from the golden circle at the front, and they were amazing, I felt a real magic and euphoria, everyone clapping in perfect time, it was quite spooky.
It was really cool to meet El Wisty who was at the gig ( not at the previous show gary ) and Paul from Glasgow and Delbut, who I gave badges to, as well as many other viewer's of the show that came up to me during the evening, thankyou everyone, it was great to see you.
Everyone left the venue, I jumped into the motor home with the driver, and we set out in convoy, with the IN THE ATTIC bus, Pete's magic bus, and the infinity motorhome, all travelling through the night to Belgium. It was a long drive, and I didn't sleep, we stopped at Calais for a couple of hour's, but I couldn't sleep then, then we carried on to Belgium, arriving at the gig at about 6pm.
The place was completely packed, the WERCHTER festival is Belgium's largest. We parked the bus's up, and I watched some of the show's from the side of the stage, because I'm an artist, I always get the top AAA pass. I watched THE CHILLI PEPPERS, who were great, and a bit of THE BLACK EYED PEAS, but there bass was dangerously loud, and was shaking the bus. Next day, the rest of the crew arrived, and the bus's were all moved right behind the stage, we basically took over backstage, it was great.
The show was excellent, although the air-con didn't seem to be working completely, and it was very hot, THE EDITORS and THE KOOKS both came on the show, and played song's that had never been played before, live, it was so cool, I loved them both, and look forward to seeing and hearing them all again, it was a real honour for me. I played WE WILL FIX IT accompanied by Rachel and Pete, and had to make up a new middle 8 on the spot because I'd forgotton the one I'd originally written, but it was good, although at the time, I was devastated and went back to the bus feeling awful, later, feeling a little better, I ventured out and spoke to Ashley, and he played me a clip, it was really sweet of him, it is so weird, that memories become a little changed probably by tiredness and sound fatigue. I soon changed my mood, and then watched THE WHO perform from the sound and lighting rig in the middle of the audience, the tower bit, it was how the show should be viewed, I could truly appreciate the enourmity of the visual performance, with the light's and the band and the huge sound, it was crazy. I couldn't get any picture's because my battery had run out, it was a real shame, but I'll take my charger next time. Straight after the band finished, I jumped on a bus with them and went to the airport, and travelled home on a big luxurious private jet, it was so cool, but I was a bit wiped out, before long, I was home, it felt like I'd been away for week's.
I love all the shout's and comment's you give me here, thanks blogger's, I hope your all ok and enjoying this stuff, hope to see you all at the gig, please come and say hello, take care all, and err, GMaS.

mikey

37 Comments:

Blogger Dan L. said...

I, as I am sure others, would certainly stop to say hello, whenever or wherever it may happen, near L.A.

Don't really know how to do that, but I say it all just the same.

Great, great blog, Mikey! Skillfull photos!

--Dan L.

Saturday, July 01, 2006  
Blogger Bri said...

Hi Mikey, "We Will Fix It" sounded wonderful and real. I never even noticed anything "wrong" with it, but a goof or slip makes it realer, if there was one. What I love about that song of yours is the meaning and the lyric. I'm still in a "We Will Fix It" mode with that guy who tried to break things off by e-mail. We have had some attempts to reconcile. Stubborn, that's me! And a fool for love. Yup.

Love your diary of the tour, thanks for writing it for us. I've wondered how you all do it: the energy, the traveling, the whole thing. When I give a classical recital, it takes a lot out of me, but at the same time it feeds me energy, so I think I can relate a bit, but you guys and Rachel are out there for many days, I think.

Take care, be well, love to Rene.

Hugs,
Brina

Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Lynsey said...

Bloody brilliant, Mikey.
*jealous*
Live the dream for the rest of us who can't! :)

As always, here's my shout. :)

-L-

Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Mikey,
Though, you are a STAR, complete with prerequisite dark glasses...ha ha... you bring us behind the scenes with you and make us feel part of it. So, yes I am enjoying all this "stuff".

Can't wait to see you in the states and get my ITA badge.

And you look absolutely gorgeous.......lucky Rene ;)
But, then again, she is pretty gorgeous too!

-Sue

Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Blogger bookworm said...

Hi Mikey,
I'm so unhappy, because I miss the last two ITA. At the last day's I made a lot with my children (Theatre, school and so on). But tonight I want to look ITA and the Hyde Park show. IT's great to read about your traveling. Wish you a fantastic time in the Hyde Park. I hope "It's will be a killer ITA".
Now I must say it's only 10 days and it's Berlin time.
I read the venue is changed from Open Air to an other place (now in a hall). Hope to meet you in Berlin or later in Ulm.
All the best
Stefan

Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Titters. Whoop whoop! said...

Hi Mikey,
You're off on another adventure and it sounds like you're having a great time (the key is in having unusual lunches. Ham and biscuits with pieapple and cheese for pudding. Trust me, I'm reading the Famous Five books). I'm just watching the loop which I finally found thanks to MaryMoo and I'll be watchig tonight. You make it seem all so real. Thanks so much for that.
Have a great time.
Rachel T

Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Blogger only waiting for this moment... said...

Hi Mikey,

I love your recent posts. I've been reading but not commenting much. Just wanted to send some love & give you a shout today. I'll be watching later on!

Much Love,
-Natalie

Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Hi Mikey - Another great show. You just get better and better.

Are you having fun yet??? Not much! Loved the rockstar glasses btw.
Great blog notes & pics, too.

Love, M x

Monday, July 03, 2006  
Blogger paulfromglasgow said...

Hi Mikey,thanks very much for putting the picture up,I thought the version of plasticine from Bristol was excellent,continue to enjoy yourself mate and take care,Paul.

Monday, July 03, 2006  
Blogger MagicMushroom said...

I love reading your tales from the tour!!

I was at Bristol and it WAS quite spooky with everyone clapping and singing in perfect time...it gave me tingles! :D

I'll be watching ITA later on..have a good one!!

xxmaryxx

Monday, July 03, 2006  
Blogger High Number said...

The backstage footage with you and the sunglasses is hilarious!
I hope you enjoyed the ITA shows (as much as I did). And you've got to see a lot of artists performing live!
Good luck with the future shows and keep on rockin'!

Monday, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Sarah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Sarah said...

So sad I didn't get to see you at Hyde Park! Hopefully will get a chance to say hi at some of the US dates. Glad to hear you guys are having a fun time out there on the road! Will finally get a chance to watch you and Rachel on ITA again...haven't had a chance to as I've been traveling around the UK the past few weeks. Going home tomorrow...

Hope you have a great summer and I'll be looking forward to seeing all of you in the fall! ♥

Monday, July 03, 2006  
Blogger elena said...

Hola Mikey,

Thanks a lot for writing this for us, I love to read it!!
I'm going to LIVERPOOL tomorrow to see both gigs, hurrah!!!!
I'm looking forward to it, thanks a lot for everything.

Elena
XXXXXX

Monday, July 03, 2006  
Blogger Gary said...

Hi Mikey,
don't worry about forgetting the bridge in your song, it happens to us all. I played a gig once solo, just me and guitar, and for the life of me, couldn't remember the opening verse of my own song. Quite embarassing.

The shows have been so remarkable to watch. We can sense the excitement of it all. The sound in the attic bus is great when you're not parked near the stage, the mics ore great quality, a really natural sound.

Why don't you put your songs up on iTunes like Rachel. I bet you'd sell a bundle while on the road.

I haven't written any new songs lately, I don't want to burn out on it, so I've taken a bit of a break to gather subject matter ideas. One idea so far, a song to be called "Intervention" about addiction. But that's about it. I did a remix of one of my older songs yesterday, and fiddled about with my mandolin. Do you ever do that? Take breaks from trying to write? Are you writing on the road? I bet you have lots of subject matter there.

Have fun.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006  
Blogger psychedelic butterfly said...

hi Mikey,
great gig at Beaulieu last night wasn't it!
just found your phone in the car, so do you want me to post it next day special delivery? or i can give it to you on sunday? but i'm guessing you'll need it before then as i know i couldn't go a day without mine. well my email address is on my blog page so just let me know what u want me to do with it.
see ya sunday
charlotte x

Tuesday, July 04, 2006  
Blogger Delbut said...

Hi Mikey. thanks for the shout on your blog. And the badge!
The photos are great. glad you are having fun.
Great seeing you yesterday -hope you got home ok.

Dont forget, the offer still stands for thursday. 07802932614

Tuesday, July 04, 2006  
Blogger Kevin Seegan said...

Wow, you have been busy. Touring sounds like fun, even if it is so busy and probably stressful. I'll make a new post today, check it out. It will have pictures of the eastern sierra.I just got back from vacation, hence no recent shouts. Hope all is well in your world. Happy 4th of July, and GMAS!

-Kevin

Tuesday, July 04, 2006  
Blogger ginab said...

And again I can only say I hope you capture some of this adventure in drawings! I know it's a lot to ask...that you keep this in mind on top of everything of which two days can feel like a week, but hey...someone's got to say so!


-g+bb

Wednesday, July 05, 2006  
Blogger Steve H said...

You are the jammiest person in the world right now!

SteveH

Wednesday, July 05, 2006  
Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

why thanks Mikey, you've become a good friend.
feels kinda strange writting to you the blog now that I talk to you almost everyday.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006  
Blogger JoeBoy said...

Thanks for the inside look Mikey. I am ready for the lot of you to come to Texas on the tour.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mikey,

Been a bit out of touch with being on vacation and a few other things. Love the commentary and photos. Hope to say 'hello' in the States after September.

Sully

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger ozzie said...

Mikey,
Great Fuckin job!
You and Rachel are rocking the WHO world.
Keep it up.
Love,
ozzie

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Hi Mikey,
What a great show from Liverpool! I really enjoyed Misery, what a treat.
When Shack were on I missed watching you bob your head, you were hiding,lol.

Also, just wanted to remind you (and everyone) that we have our BLINNER on Monday the 10th. It would be great if you and Rene could join us. All details are on my blog, so please pop in and let me know...
And anyone who would like to join, please do! All welcome!!!

Hope I see you soon.
xoxoxo
M

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Ben R said...

Hi Mikey!

Long time no blog - that's the trouble finishing at 8pm most days. Zonked when I get in and barely the strength to power on the PC!!

I love the fact you get AAA passes as an artist - psst... ask Bex about her band, and if they will get those Duracell AAA battery/passes too! I don't know if she's admitted having her own band yet! The lead singer blew us off (not literally!) and Bex graciously has filled the void!

Ben

PS - Are you planning to do the '20 facts about me' blog that loadsa bloggers are posting lately?

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Gary said...

Wow Mikey, "White Stripes" today was simply spell binding. Way to go!!

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

AMAZING account of your experience Mikey! I am so so thrilled for you to be a huge part of this and have your career be a star on this tours map. I have really enjoyed listening and watching when I can. Sometimes in the middle of the night when i get home and need to unwind fron the bath or something nutty like that. I especailly enjoy Tourist and other few songs you played yesterday with Rachel that were from the REAL attic! Hope to get those on CD someday. Keep blogging about it. This is so much fun to read! Can't wait for all of you to come over here to the US!

XX-Molly

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Metalchick said...

Hi Mikey,
Wow! I wish I had been there! Sounds like it was a great show.

Friday, July 07, 2006  
Blogger psychedelic butterfly said...

hiya Mikey
so great to see you again yesterday, thanks so much for getting us a good view for the Who!
hopefully see you & Rene on sunday!
x

Friday, July 07, 2006  
Blogger greekzoe said...

Mikey,

Your performances get better and better. I love all of your tunes. "My Pidgeon Friend" is great. Especially now that I've heard the story on how you came to write it.
I really wish I could get your Cd. Seems I have to go to a show and right now it doesn't seem that will be happening. I will get my hands on one somehow though!!!


Have a great weekend. I will miss it but will see you sometime during the week. Be good!

XXOO
Zoe

Saturday, July 08, 2006  
Blogger grace said...

Hi Mikey, Super great photos. Thank you for sharing them. And the reports on the gigs so far. Looks like you all are having a blast. Have fun at in Dublin and Scotland this weekend. xo Grace

Saturday, July 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mikey...

Hope you haven't sucumbed to the heat over there. You guys aren't used to it. Here in Niagara Falls, We can get all 4 seasons in 1 week :). 2 weeks ago, a tornado touched down just past the Buffalo airport. That crap is scarey. I remmeber the one in 1987. I was in Cheektowaga, a Buffalo Suburb, and one had touched down while I was driving. I saw the clouds and then it started to form and my first thoughts were "This ain't gonna be good".

I was right. Can't wait for the gang to arrive here in the States. Like I keep saying, maybe our paths will cross.

Sunday, July 09, 2006  
Blogger elena said...

Hola Mikey!!!!!

I had a great time in Liverpool...I enjoyed the gigs soooo much!!
Thanks a lot for being so nice...It was great to meet you...I didn't talk too much because I was trying to understand what you and Delbut were talking about, hahaha...My English is getting better, I promise!!!

Thanks again, you're fantastic!!

Love,

Elena
XXXXXX

Sunday, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Silverwriter said...

Mikey - thanks for the creative imagery...your post takes us there. Sounds like the ride of a lifetime. Hope to see you all in L.A. and Maui soon!

Monday, July 10, 2006  
Blogger KennyAberdeen said...

Mikey, huge thank you for helping us last Monday (3rd July)- do you think this webcast makes my bum look big!!!!!!!anyway sorry we had to leave before you finished the webcast - should have stayed! - Kenny (and Sarah) Anderson

Tuesday, July 11, 2006  
Blogger brojo said...

Mikey
Great show yesterday

I love My Way.
Listening to the lyrics of la la la after your conversation about extremists was quite interesting Transmogrifying the song into to being sung from the suicide bomber created an eerie and strangly understanding feeling to the song.
Hope you have a great show today
I will be cathing ya on the loop

Fashion question (Bandanas)?

John

Saturday, July 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home