Thursday, September 14, 2006

ULM, BARCELONA, MADRID, ZARAGOZA AND HOME.





We set off from the Lovely days festival in St.Polten, and headed out of Austria and back to Germany in convoy, I travelled in the motorhome with the driver, a lovely guy from Manchester called Pete, travelling along with the other airstream's. I had fallen asleep during the journey, and awoke to find myself in Ulm, parked right next to a huge gothic cathedral, half covered in scaffolding. From the rear of the stage it looked like the stage and the cathedral were one structure. In the early afternoon there was a huge storm and the fences were pushed up against the motorhome and the 'In the Attic' airstream, then it disapeared as quickly as it had appeared. It was great to meet blogger's there, Stefan and Charly, then prepared for the show.
I was sported my golfing trousers, but I can't truly remember any of the song's any of us played, but I'm sure we were brilliant, as was The Who, who were amazing. I helped the guy's pack up, and then found my way to one of the tour bus's. I had secured a bunk on the smoking bus, which was lucky, but none of the ATTIC crew were on the smoking bus, but that didn't stop me from joining some great crew members for a little drink as we travelled to Barcelona, which was nearly a full day's journey, but then two day's off there. I crawled into my bunk some hour's after we set off, very drunk, then felt punished for the rest of the drive to Barcelona, that couldn't end to soon, I felt very ill, but once in my room in Barcelona, I went to bed and recouperated.
I found it quite lonely in Barcelona, the first day I left the hotel, I got lost and stumbled upon my hotel by pure chance. Then the second slightly less lonely day, I spent trying to get lost in the labyrinth of walkway's of the old town, knowing that I had a copy of the hotel's name and address in my wallet this time. I had a great time, but it was intensely hot and I had to keep returning to my room for a shower. That evening, the crew and I, got back on the bus's and headed for Madrid, it was a very shakey ride and I did not drink this time, and felt very well for it. I was looking forward to Madrid, because Rene was coming out and meeting me there.
We arrived in Madrid, where quickly I met Rene, we went back to the Sports palace stadium, which was a huge enclosed space, the ATTIC airstream was parked under the rear of the stage with the motorhome beside it, the place was enourmous, and cooler because we were out of the sun. IN THE ATTIC was brilliant, funny and very enjoyable, I felt I played very well. Rachel performed beautifully, and Pete was incredible, then went out and performed a storming set, I left early with Rene to our hotel, and an early night.
We spent the day in Madrid, clothes and shoe shopping, eating lovely food and having a superb time, the next day, we travelled together on the super fast Spainish train to Zaragoza, it was a lovely journey, smooth and very fast. We checked into our room and then went to the Pabellon Principe Felipe stadium, where we were greeted by the sight of the airstream's and the motorhome, a familiar sight amongst the unfamiliar. The show went excellently, me and Rene watched The Who perform from the lighting rig, but had to leave early, because this was our last European show.
I still feel very lucky to have been a part of the IN THE ATTIC and THE WHO, UK & Euro Tour, it has been an amazing experence, the journey was unbelievable, the places and the people that I've met all across Europe, sometimes loney and tired, but what a journey it has been. All my thank's go to Rachel and Pete, Simon, all the crew, The Who and all there crew, and everybody who watched the show's, the driver's and security, management and loved one's.

Rene and I returned home, it felt very strange, like I'd lived another life time, and that was on my birthday. I got home and checked my blog, but couldn't seem to post for a while.

Really hope that everyone has an amazing time at Joe's pub, it's a shame I couldn't make it, but I'm sure that there will be another opportunity in the future. Sorry, that I have not blogged in age's as well, hope everyone is good.

Great news though, it is now possible to buy my EP on the EELPIE website, in collaboration's, it is called INVISIBLE, and has five track's which include Tourist, Plasticine, White stripes, Misery and the title track. Please let me know, what I mean is, Give me a shout! Take care all,
mikey

38 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it was HOT in Barcelona. I was there the same time, and I nearly walked my feet off. Made me feel like a hot old woman, that town did. What a riot. Was nice for me, and for my friends, to get out of the hot city and head down along the coast, all the way finally to Tarifa.

Glad you're in good steed. You helped everyone here, I know, ti glimpse what might have been a dream. very sweet and your thanks goes out. Big arms!

Yeah your EP! Looking forward to ordering it. Yes indeed. I'll report back. I promise!

-ginab

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Dan L. said...

Mikey:

I know NOTHING of Spain, though I am a product of my Grandfather's family from there.

I love it when you blog, since we, here, are stupid and wanting, and you, there, are not in a hurry...as I wish I was, also not in a hurry.

That being said, you are really no different than I, just in a separate slot in life. My best to you, indeed, our family sends our best, though they have mostly NO IDEA who you are, I DO, Mikey.

I stay connected, when I can, you too, I'm sure.

Peace,

--Dan L.

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

LOVE the duct tape on the JumboCruiser! That is a crack up! So Sad for those who attended Joes Pub, but perhaps I will be able to finally meet you as I am planning on attending a West Coast event. The tour is even coming to MY City of Salt Lake. How Cool!!

Beautiful pics! Happy Birthday and I just bought your CD. Congrats with that!

Be well Mikey! Hello to Rene from me.
X-Molly

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger bookworm said...

Hi Mikey,
great to hear from you and thank you for the mention of Charly and me. Often I remember our nice talking. The promo you gave me of your EP I love. It's great music and I will order one origial for me and one for Charly and one for Konstantin from EelPie.
Hope you feel good and wish a fantastic weekend.
Love and peace
Stefan

PS: Please check out my blog and look about the post "My hometown". I have show some pics from Kassel.

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger MagicMushroom said...

I'll look forward to getting your CD!!

Great pics! Thanks for keeping on with the blogging: it's great to hear what was happening with you at the time when all the crazy Who-stuff was happening!

It's bad for the people who were expecting to see you at Joe's; but there will hopefully be other opportunities for all of us! :0)

Keep well!

xxmaryxx

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Melissa & Gary said...

Keep up the good work on your blog.
When will the next gig be?
A tour of Essex next please!

M+G

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Gary said...

Hi Mikey,
I'm glad you put a post up, and that your EP is available on EelPie.

Was really sad to hear you could not participate in initial leg of the US tour. Will sit tight for news and developments. I can imagine the logistics required to take the attic on the road, not an easy thing at all.

I bet the european part of the tour inspired a dozen really great new song ideas Mikey. I've been trying to write, but am in a bit of a black hole at the moment.

Thanks again for giving us all a shout.

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Thanks for this post.
Was really good to hear how you are doing...
Yes, it was a magical night, but you were missed at Joe's
Take care Mikey, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

xo
Sue

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger brojo said...

Mikey
Thank you for the post, I have been wondering about you.
We miss you, and hope you are well.
There used to be a saying that, life is what happens between Greatfull Dead shows. Hope you are enjoying each day. I imagine it could be hard to make the transition from tour to home, hang-in their, let us know what you need.
Looking forward to getting your music finally

John
John

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger JoeBoy said...

Thank you Mikey. You share your adventures well. Would love to meet you at one of the Texas shows.

Joseph

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger psychedelic butterfly said...

hi mikey
love reading about your time on the road with the who & seeing all the photos.
so sad that you wern't at joe's pub last night though, i was really looking forward to seeing you play again. hopefully see you soon x

Friday, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Ahvarahn said...

Missed you and Si at Joe's.

Saturday, September 16, 2006  
Blogger windswept & interested said...

Hi Mikey,
Truly missed you at Joe's. You were there in spirit though, always a part of The Attic. Off to buy your EP, crazy about the title track.

Saturday, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Sarah said...

hey mikey, it's good to hear from you. you were so missed last night at joe's pub! hope all is going well for you. thanks for sharing the stories and the pictures! they are great, as always. :)

Saturday, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Charly said...

Hey Mikey!
I'm happy to hear from you again and to hear that you liked our talk!!! My dad and I often talk about our talk and everytime we say than: "That was GREAT!!!"
Thanks again for you comment at my blog. Maybe you write again...
Love, Charly

Saturday, September 16, 2006  
Blogger LaurLaur said...

Hi Mikey,
Wonderful post; the details and photos really give such a feeling of (almost) being there.
I missed you at Joe's too. I hope you get to visit the US at some point; you're sure to have a fantastic time.
Congrats on the EP, can't wait to hear it. Shout out to Rene. xoLaura

Saturday, September 16, 2006  
Blogger colleen m said...

Hey Mikey!! Without a doubt you were missed Joe's. Glad to hear about the EP -- congrats!

Saturday, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Suesjoy said...

Hey Mikey!
So good to hear from you.
I was sad to hear that you couldn't be a part of ITA in the US - I hope it all works out and you get to join Rachel soon!
Thanks for sharing your travelogue and pictures with us.
I will buy your ep as soon as I start working again - which should be very soon...so much red tape to go through...but I will be an aide to a severely physically challenged 8 year old girl in my daughter's class (she was born without most of her arms or legs). I'm psyched - I love working with kids and what a blessing to be able to spend my days with my daughter in her classroom.
(I'm in the doghouse for overspending lately, but I truly promise to buy your ep and HOPEFULLY I can see you in person so you can sign it for me).
Take care and be well,
Love,
Sue D.

Saturday, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Delbut said...

Mikey. We are all missing your infectious laughter and general good-guy antics on ITA. it's not the same without you.

Hope to get to see you soon. i still owe you lunch.

Take care

Sunday, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Steve H said...

Nice one Mikey - glad you're well. And off to the US today!! Have a good ITA for us.

So what do you think of Schumi retiring - I'm gutted :(

SteveH

Sunday, September 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As cool as it was to talk to Pete and Rachel backstage in NYC, the buzz about where you and Simon was all over the room before and after the show.

Most of us bloggers do miss the weekly ITA broadcasts but hope you'll make an appearance in the States soon. There's so much America that awaits your presence.

Sully

Sunday, September 17, 2006  
Blogger MagicMushroom said...

Can't wait for ITA again! We miss seing you on our screens! :0)

Sunday, September 17, 2006  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Mikey,
So happy to hear you will be in NYC, after all.....I really missed you on thursday night. But, I said that already. So, onward and forward. Have a great time doing ITA, backstage....

All the best,

-Sue

Sunday, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hey alright Mikey!! Glad the EP is available!
I just got back from Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, I spent so much different money, it tells the tale of where I've been:
Baht, Sings, rupia's, ringits, rills ( reels?)
I thought of you often, I couldn't help it. I know all kinds of things now about
Asia/Indonesia that I didn't know before. It was awesome!
If you want to check out my blog, I've been writing a little about it.I have a funny clip of Muay thai boxing that I took ..lol God, I doubt you have time!
I've missed you, Rene,Rachel,and everyone, and all the bloggers.I'm now trying to catch up!
Thanks for the beautiful posts/photos :)xoxoLisa

Monday, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Suesjoy said...

Fantastic news Mikey!
We've missed you alot!
So are you going to be a "man on the street" or what?
I think Stupid Pet and Stupid Human tricks are Letterman trademarks now, but NO ONE has done "useless facts" so you're golden.
Have a good, safe trip.
Hope it's hassle-free too.
(Dream on...)
:)
Take care,
Sue

Monday, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Hi Mikey,
So happy to read that you're coming over the pond! Have a grand time in the US. Are you going to come to Canada? I did promise you a burger hunt, which will be interesting coming from a vegeterian. ;)

Looking forward to ITA with you- I was watching the Leeds show on Rachel's site, and you were hilarious on that one.

Cheers,
Anne-Marie

Tuesday, September 19, 2006  
Blogger Tom Matchett said...

Sounds like nice work if you can get it Mikey!

Good luck with the EP! Hope that you feel rewarded for all your hard work toward it. Do you find that going off on tour with The Who a distraction from being Mikey the songwriter or an inspiration?

Speaking of songwriting...I just bought a 24 track digital Tascam studio that Rabbit recommended to me over a myspace message. WOW! Its mission control but with compression and reverb effects...amazing!!!!

Pity that I have to live off humous and carrots for the next year to pay for it. Its either that...or give up smoking...and if I did that, then who would constantly bug you for your lighter, eh?!

Tom.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fly right! And WELCOME!

-ginab

Wednesday, September 20, 2006  
Blogger bookworm said...

Hi Mikey,
saw you be in the USA. Is this the first time? Do you go with Rene?
Hope you make some pics and show us. Wish a good time.
Here is my shout to you and Rene from Germany.
Take care
Stefan

Wednesday, September 20, 2006  
Blogger only waiting for this moment... said...

Hi Mikey!

Oh it;s been too long since I posted here. I just wanted to tell you how THRILLED I am that your EP is now available, and that my favorite song, WHITE STRIPES stayed on it. I hope to do whatever I can to keep on supporting you. And I really hope to see you in the USA.

Lots of Love,
-Natalie

Thursday, September 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very very much for your kindness and help.

Thursday, September 21, 2006  
Blogger bookworm said...

Hi Mikey,

do you like to buy a fantastic EP. Go to my blog and read. Ha, ha!

Love and peace
Stefan

Thursday, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Dan L. said...

Here to tell you, Mikey, that we are still here, and enjoy your company.

--Dan L.

Saturday, September 23, 2006  
Blogger MagicMushroom said...

ITA went up on Rachel's site today! You were fab! Great to have you back! :0)

xxmaryxx

Sunday, September 24, 2006  
Blogger elena said...

Hola Mikey!!

Hope you are having a great time in USA, enjoy your stay!!

Great photo of Atocha, the train Station in Madrid, hehe...

Thanks for ITA!

Elena
XXXXXX

Sunday, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Ronzi said...

We need more Mikey !!!!!

Monday, September 25, 2006  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Mikey,
I received your ep in record time.....yeah!
It sounds so good....the production is brilliant...my car cd changer is now filled with ITA music, Foy, Simon, Rachel and Pete, and now you, Mikey....Here is your shout...full of joy!

Thanks!
Sue

Monday, September 25, 2006  
Blogger CathFria said...

Hi Mikey,
I was a pleasure meeting you at the B&N in Chicago. What a treat.
I know you are an excellent musician/singer/songwriter BUT WOW your photography is smashing!!!
As soon as I put up our picture on my blog(lost my Internet connection for a while) I'll drop you a line.
I can't wait to hear you sing and play live tomorrow at the HOB.
Cath

Wednesday, September 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home