Saturday, October 14, 2006

NEW YORK CITY...








I had always dreamt of visiting New York city, and with only a few hours to pack, Rene drove me to the airport. I said goodbye, but knew that Rene was following me out within a few days, which was brilliant. I passed through the security checks, being stopped and searched several times and eventually made it on to the plane, I must look a bit suspect. The journey was smooth and comfortable, and I was met at JFK airport by a driver who took me to my hotel in New York.
Whilst checking into the hotel, I noticed my friend Darren (Pete's studio engineer) at the hotel's internet access. It was great to see a friendly face, and he directed me to Justin. I put my bags in my room and Justin treated me to dinner, because I didn't have any dollars. Pete was working in the room next door, and came in and said hello. The next day I went for a walk with Darren, where he showed me some great places to eat and cash machines that I could use.
That night, I helped transport the equipment for the ITA show to the Who gig at Madison square garden. We set up in Pete's dressing room, where we had more space than we were used to. It was great to see Rachel, and after a few teething problems with the sound, we started filming. Which was pretty weird because we usually work live. William Snyder took some great pictures of me and Rachel together, and one of me having a fag in the toilet.
It was great to be with the team again, Rachel had a chest infection but played and sung beautifully, Pete was in great form, Simon played some great new stuff, and I played Plasticine and You with Rachel. David Bowie walked in mid-show, but only stayed for a short time. It was a great show, which if you haven't already, you should go over to the 'intheattic.TV' website and watch it.
After the show, I went back to the hotel and joined Andy and Justin in the bar, where I met the Third of Never guy's, who asked me to help them with the video that Justin was shooting for them the next day, I sat and chatted to William Snyder and the other guy's, and before we knew it, the bar had closed and we were all asked to leave.
The next day, I met Justin and the actors, and we all headed for Central Park to start shooting. The Third of Never guy's (who are lovely) were running late, but when they arrived, there had been a problem and the bass player couldn't make it, so quick as a flash, I became the newest member of the band, for the video anyway, but it was great fun and I really enjoyed the day.
I left Justin, the actors and the guy's to go and eat, as I waited for Rene to arrive. Rene arrived very tired from her journey, so I went out and got some food which we ate in the room. During the next couple of day's me and Rene went to the zoo, went boating in Central Park, did some shopping and generally ate well and took in the sites and sounds of Manhattan island. We both really enjoyed our stay, then with the ITA crew, travelled to Baltimore for the V festival in the very plush tour bus...

Thanks for all the great shout's here, sorry this took so long, hopefully the next installment will come sooner, hope everyone is doing well and being happy, take care you lot and GMaS...
mikey

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mikey, hope you're well and glad to be home. Me and Justin are hanging out and loved this blog of yours. You are such a positive person and the story about you as the newest member (the fifth Beatle!) or the Third of Never is very funny.

It was great to see you and Rene in the US. Love to you both.

Justin says hello from Hampton Wick - he is in the Queen Elizabeth suite at Chase Lodge - it's so funny 'cos it's a tiny, little, smelly room, yet it's got this really fancy name!

Love mint & JK. xxx

Saturday, October 14, 2006  
Blogger Dan L. said...

This last post of yours was fun to read, Mikey. I hope you enjoyed the USA, and can return. I would be glad to meet you for a minute somewhere, but who knows how that happens?

Anyway, great blogging, not a slacker afterall, you.

Peace,

--Dan L.

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger JoeBoy said...

I am very happy for you Mikey. I hope you and Rene enjoy your time in America.

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Roland said...

Hey Mikey! Great pics and post…really loved reading about your travels in NY. You guys really did see a lot (and no blisters either!). Very funny Third of Never story. Looking forward to reading about Baltimore. Please let us know if you plan to come back to the US for the 2nd leg of the tour, particularly Chicago. We saw Rachel’s post about a planned Attic Jam in Chicago again and are totally ecstatic! You have to come and perform, plus we’d love to spend some time again with you and Rene. You are both super people and lots of fun!!

Still anxiously awaiting the arrival of your cd...hopefully any day now. I noticed that there has been a problem with the Eelpie site, so hopefully that hasn’t caused any delays with the cd orders.

Thanks and you keep happy too,
L&R

P.S. Love your song “My brother Shaun.”

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Hi Mikey,
I loved reading this post. NYC is one of my favourite cities. I'm glad you and Rene had time together there and enjoyed yourselves.

Thanks for sharing!

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger MagicMushroom said...

I've always wanted to visit NYC, but with your post here it feels like i was there! Fab pictures too.

I'm off to the USA next year and i think they check everyone so much (searching etc) so don't worry i don't think it was you- unless you know something we don't?! LOL

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Steve H said...

love reading about your trip Mikey - keep the postings coming!!

On another note - all set for Brazil on Sunday?

:(

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger bookworm said...

Hi Mikey,
this must be a great journey. New York is a fantastic town. Think I look about my pictures in one of the next evenings to remember my journey.
Wish you a good next week.
All the best
Stefan

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger CathFria said...

Hey Mikey,
keep the pics and blogs comen'!!

Thanks,
cathfria

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Great post Mikey! Looks like you both had a great time! Great pictures, as always!! I especially like the panoramic one! Central Park is beautiful don't you think? When I lived in the city it was my escape and the long way to walk home from ballet. I hope you enjoy the rest of the US of A! If I don't see you in LA, then perhaps when the tour hits Salt Lake City.

Warmly!
XX-Molly

Monday, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Cheryl Ann said...

Hello Mikey,
fello "fan-attic" here just dropping by to express how much i love the song you and Rach do together. I'm not sure if it's titled "you" or "misery" but i just love it. You both played it on an attic show and attic jam while you were here in america.
Will you be coming back to the state on the next leg of the tour?
Be well and happy-
cherylann

Tuesday, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Mark T said...

Hi Mikey, I just love the States and it sounds like you did too. We enjoyed our time there. We stayed at the New Yorker which was just across tge road from Madison Square Gardens. I was well pissed off when we left on the Sunday and you and the rest of the guys were there on the Monday. Hope that you make for the next leg of the tour, would be great to meet up again. Mark

Wednesday, October 18, 2006  
Blogger Roland said...

Hey Mikey! Hope you and Rene are doing well. We received your cds today...hooray! You have to come back here to sign them for us!!:) Love the songs....

Take care,
L&R

Thursday, October 19, 2006  
Blogger Charly said...

Hey Mikey!
It sounds like you had a nice time in New York City!
Hope you do well!
Love, Charly

Saturday, October 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics, mikey! I'll be visiting NYC later this year, it'll be awesome. GMaS!

-Kevin Seegan

Saturday, October 21, 2006  
Blogger Kevin Seegan said...

Ahh, now I have my account working! Will you be in Los Angeles in early November?

-Kevin

Sunday, October 22, 2006  
Blogger Kara said...

Hi Mikey!
I haven't been over here in a while. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in the US and I hope you are enjoying your time off :)

Take Care,
Kara

Monday, October 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank you again Mikey for helping us out with the video. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong that day, especially with the President in town keeping the traffic nice and slow.

Many many thanks, and we hope to run in to you on the second leg of the tour.

Everybody please buy Mikey's EP and support a real musician.

Thursday, November 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home